Tuesday, April 12, 2005

As if I didn't already have enough to do...

I must say that I've been mildly annoyed that the last two awards I received didn't come with "regalia". Usually you get a painted-leather medallion with the Order of the Argent Comet, and a belt token with the Order of the Argent Rapier. I guess the King wasn't kidding at Gulf Wars when he said that the regalia stockpile is really low.

So, I figured I'd have to make my own regalia, and if I'm going to do that, I might as well make lots of regalia. To that end, I'm researching how to cast pewter in soapstone molds. I'll be doing my early experiments in plaster, since I don't want to go through a lot of soapstone on mistakes (I can always melt down the pewter mistakes). Plaster molds won't be as durable, but they'll do during the learning process. I've already got a cheap set of carving tools (I won't buy expensive ones until I'm good enough to warrant them). Basically, all I need to do is order metal...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I've been trying to find out how/where to learn to cast pewter, in the high hope of casting a set of pieces for a game a little like chess, only with dragons and mages.

Would you be able to tell me how you learned (or perhaps give me some pointers)?