Friday, February 25, 2005

Joseph Swetnam

Joseph Swetnam is known for two publications: The Araignment of Lewd, Idel, Froward, and Unconstant Women and Schoole of the Noble and Worthy Science of Defence. I have no real interest in the former, but I find that his recommendations on rapier fencing work rather well for me. To that end, I've obtained as much of the text of Schoole as I reasonably can from the internet, and I'm working on distilling the useful information from it. This could take a while, as Swetnam, like most writers of the time, seems to spell words in a random manner. He's also rather wordy, and I say this from the standpoint of a professional technical writer. Nonetheless, there is good information to be squeezed out of this text, and I shall endeavor to derive a good webpage for Glaedenfeld.net out of it.

No comments: