Monday, July 08, 2024

Lamb Paprikash

I found a beef paprikash recipe on Pinterest, and I decided to try it with lamb, so here we go.

You will need:

  • At least 2 lbs of lamb, cubed into 1-2 inch pieces (I got a a 2.8 lb butterfly leg roast from BJs, but they don't get a link unless they pay me)
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour (I'm using a keto wheat flour I found at Kroger)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • 1 diced green bell pepper
  • 4 cloves of minced garlic
  • 3 tbsp paprika
  • ½ tsp dried Mexican oregano (although Mexican wasn't called for specifically)
  • ½ tsp caraway seeds, pounded a bit in my mortar and pestle
  • 15 oz can of whole tomatoes that I crushed with an immersion blender
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 bay leaf

To make it happen:

  1. Cube the lamb, dice the veggies, measure out the spices, and otherwise have your mise en place.
  2. Coat the lamb in salt, pepper, and flour. Brown the lamb in a pot or dutch oven on medium-high heat for about a minute on each side. Remove the lamb to a bowl.
  3. Sweat the onions for about a minute on medium heat in the same pot. Add the peppers and garlic and cook for another minute. Add oregano and  spices (and salt and pepper as needed) and stir to mix well.
  4. Add the tomatoes and beef broth, deglaze the pot, throw in the bay leaf, reduce heat to low, and simmer for an hour or more. You could also braise in the oven, if the weather is cold.

I served this with "Skinny" low-carb angle hair pasta. I was a bit too conservative with the salt on this try, but that's easily fixed. I don't think that the low-carb flour has the thickening properties of a regular all-purpose flour, so this was rather thin. Lessons learned, but we're definitely moving in a good direction.

No comments: