Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Chili with White Beans

This was something of a fluke. I thought I had black beans in the cupboard. I was wrong, so Great Northern Beans it is.




It's a chili, so most of this is improv.
  • 1 lb of ground beef (roughly)
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
  • 1 generous tbsp of chili powder (I actually filled the cap of the container)
  • 1 tbsp of cumin (the cap again)
  • 1 pinch of Mexican oregano (not what you were thinking, you deviants ;)
  • Salt and pepper (too taste)
  • Beef stock (as needed)
  • Corn meal (as needed)
On this occasion, I sauteed the diced onion and pepper over medium-high heat in a bit of grapeseed oil along with some salt and pepper, then added the garlic. I put that aside on a plate while I browned the beef, then everything went back into the pot along with the tomatoes, beans, and remaining spices.

I added enough beef stock to deglaze the pot and cover the ingredients, then left it to simmer for an hour or so. I added the corn meal toward the end as a thickener and let it simmer another 15 minutes or so.

Served with a spoon of sour cream.

Chili is pretty forgiving, and this turned out quite nice.


No comments: