Friday, November 16, 2007

Beowulf Opening

The latest movie incarnation of Beowulf opens today. While I'm cautiously optimistic and looking forward to seeing it, I can tell from the advertising that the story is going to be substantially changed from the epic poem. Whether it will be as badly abused as it was in Beowulf and Grendel or in the 1999 version of Beowulf starring Christopher Lambert remains to be seen, although it would be difficult to mangle the story as much as they did. I daresay this new version will beat both of those, but it probably won't live up to the greatness of The 13th Warrior.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I must admit that I actually liked the Beowulf and Grendel with Ger Butler. It wasn't the real story, but I managed to enjoy it for the spirit, especially some of the more flippant lines--and I'm hard to please when it comes to historical fiction.