Thursday, June 26, 2014

Solomon Kane

I'm watching Solomon Kane tonight. It has a good Netflix rating.



This is a movie with a very Christian premise. I am looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. Some of you who know me may think that strange, but I am willing to suspend disbelief and see how the makers of this movie interpret the concepts of redemption. As I type at this moment, the plot is just getting started. I will be "live blogging" after a fashion -- pausing to add my thoughts as the movie progresses. We shall see how my opinion shifts over time. Spoilers after the break.

(Typed at the 16 minute mark.) At this point, Solomon has fled from damnation and hidden in a monastery, but he knows that he is still damned. I can see that hiding and praying will not be enough to change his judgment. Solomon must demonstrate by his deeds that he is a changed man. I don't know that my grandmother would have agreed, since I heard her say that we are "saved by grace, not by works". On the other hand, Jesus said that faith without works is dead.

(19 minutes) Attacked by bandits, rescued by pilgrims. I'm not sure where this is going, but I have a feeling that the theme will be that merely renouncing evil is not sufficient (at least if you've lead a shameful life so far). You have to choose to resist evil, not merely abstain from more evil, to achieve redemption. I'm not a big believer in the supernatural, but if I were, that would make sense. Complacency in the face of evil is not sufficient; there comes a time when even a good man must fight.

(24 minutes) "Edward, he had a wife and child once. The Lord saw fit to embrace them." I have no idea why that is supposed to be comforting. They died of either disease or violence, the movie doesn't specify. It is understandable that a man would not accept "the Lord saw fit" as an explanation for the deaths of loved ones. I hope they give me better reasons for Solomon to embrace religion properly again.

(25 minutes) "Satan's creatures will take me, should I stray from the path of peace." "Then do not stray, Master Kane." Right. Like that's going to happen.

(40 minutes) "It is a price I shall gladly pay." Maybe that's a start. But it can't be for just vengeance.

(42 minutes) Well, that only cost almost the whole pilgrim family. What's the message there?

(59 minutes) There certainly seems to be some "ends justify the means" going on at this point, which doesn't seem to click with the Christian theology of the setting.

(1:05) A crucifixion scene. Why am I not surprised?

(1:08) But, of course, he remembers making a promise. Can't stay on a cross in those circumstances.

(1:34) Solomon is redeemed by saving the pretty girl, in a painfully obvious manner. Not sure if I like that lesson.

It could have been much worse, but I'm not sure it if has a good theme, regardless of your religious inclinations.

No comments: