Thursday, January 23, 2014

Bean Soup

This is a pretty minor update. No pictures even. Still, I made a pretty decent little soup, so I wanted to get the process down somewhere.

Ingredients:
  • One can of Goya pink beans with cilantro and onions (found at the international market; I'd never seen "pink beans" before, so I was curious)
  • One can of great northern beans, rinsed
  • One 14-oz can of chicken broth (use vegetable broth if you want it vegetarian)
  • One yellow onion
  • About one half of a bunch of cilantro
  • About one tablespoon of fish sauce (or soy sauce, to be vegetarian)
  • One cup of brown rice
  • Two cups of water
Process:
  1. I put the water and rice in one pot and started it cooking. Standard procedure there: bring it to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for twenty or more minutes (more like thirty for this rice).
  2. I put the beans, broth, and fish sauce in a separate pot over medium-high heat to get them started.
  3. I diced the onion and added it to the bean pot.
  4. I chopped the cilantro and added half of it (the more stemmy half) to the bean pot.
  5. After the beans come to a boil, simmer them covered on low while the rice cooks.
  6. When the rice is done, add it and the remaining cilantro to the beans and mix well.
I think it's pretty tasty.

No comments: